Weeknight supper in a clutch, Yes! With school starting soon (or already started for some of y’all!) this leaves me at wit’s end to try and get all the shopping, planning, scheduling done before they even set foot back into the school doors. With all this going on, I don’t have time to be standing in a kitchen all day for a meal. I need something that is hearty and will keep them full after a long day. This recipe reminds me of the old “dump cake” recipes where you dump everything into one pan and bake it, and magically wind up with a delicious dessert. This is the same super-easy principle – only savory instead of sweet!
Dump Italian Meatball and Pasta Casserole
Prep time:15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 90 minutes (20 minutes active cooking time)
- 3 cups marinara sauce (jarred is fine)
- 1 can Italian style diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ cup orzo pasta
- 1 (2lbs) package frozen Italian-style meatballs (No need to thaw meatballs)
- ½ cup shredded Italian style cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat Oven to 375 Degrees F.
- In a 9×13 baking dish combine marinara sauce, Italian style diced tomatoes and their juice, water, and orzo pasta and stir until combined. Add in meatballs.
- Cover baking dish tightly with foil
- Bake for 60-75 minutes or until the Orzo is tender.
- During the final 5 minute of cooking, remove dish from oven and sprinkle both Italian and Parmesan cheese on top and place back in oven for the remaining 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with parsley right before serving