Before we get to the recipe, I’ve got news. It’s a big secret but it’s so dang cool. (Nobody is pregnant, ya’ll. Chill.) So if you want to be one of the first ones to know this big secret news that is coming SOON, please sign up for our brand-new newsletter! I won’t send a ton of crap to your inbox and I sure won’t sell your email address to anybody! Sign up here and hold on to your hats because we’re about to blow the roof off this thing.
Now on to the recipe!
We eat a lot of chicken, and a lot of Asian-inspired food – and I’m lucky because I know that’s something that will always be a hit around here, and as a mama, cooking food that they’re going to eat is my number one goal. But I am a chef, too, and sometimes I get bored. So I like to mix it up and experiment – and sometimes when we go outside our comfort zones, magic happens! (And sometimes it’s a big hot mess but you’ll need to follow me on SnapChat to see that! @ChefJocelyn ) Luckily, this is one of the ones that worked:
Sweet and Smoky Hawaiian Turkey Burgers
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- ¼ c Brown Sugar
- ½ t salt
- ½ t black pepper
- ½ t paprika
- ½ t garlic powder
- ½ t onion powder
- 1 T Teriyaki Sauce/Marinade
- ⅓ c Panko or Breadcrumbs
- 1.5-2 lbs Ground Turkey Meat
- 6 Slices of Jalapeno Cheddar (you can change the cheese to your choice)
Garlic Parmesan Sweet Potato Bites
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes, Cubed
- 2 t garlic, Minced
- 2 T Butter, Melted
- 4 T Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ t Salt
- ½ t Italian Seasonings
- Pre-heat the oven for the sweet potatoes for 425 degrees. Get the skillet ready for the turkey burgers.
- Prepare the turkey burgers: In a large bowl, add brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, teriyaki sauce/marinade, and panko. Make sure it is all mixed together and then mix in turkey until well combined. Let stand about 30 minutes.
- While meat is marinating, chop the sweet potatoes into bite size cubes and set aside into a gallon size bag.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the 2T butter. Once done add all remaining ingredients; garlic, parmesan cheese, salt and italian seasonings. Mix until Combined.
- Once the butter mixture is ready add this mixture to the sweet potatoes in the gallon sized bag and shake until covered.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and spray with cooking and dump the sweet potatoes and spread out. Bake 425 degrees from 18-25 minutes. Remove when done
- While Sweet potatoes are cooking, At this point take turkey meat and form into 6 hamburger patties. Pre-heat the skillet or grill.
- Place turkey burgers into the grill or skillet and cook until desired outcome, top with cheese during the last 5 minutes of cooking
- Build Burger as Desired!
Chef Jocelyn Notes
- The meat choice of this recipe is strictly optional, I used turkey, because we wanted something lighter and not something so heavy in beef. You can also use ground chicken for another lighter options.
- Another great Idea for this recipe is to Grill some pineapple and sautee some onions, right in the same skillet that you are about to grill or cook your burgers in. It saves dishes and also saves time to go it all in one pan.