It’s Fall, finally! It’s my other favorite time of the year! Cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin spice, and SOUP SOUP SOUP!
Chef Jocelyn Notes
So a couple notes for this recipe that you can use to customize it and make it your own.
Let’s talk about carrots. There are several different ways you can skin this cat. First you can purchase already chopped carrots in the frozen aisle or you can head to the produce aisle and they usually have carrots pre-sliced (Julienned is the proper name). I mean, if you you are a glutton for Punishment then you can buy the bunch of whole carrots and go to town. I say all this to get you to see that you have ton of options.
Next up : Chicken Stock vs Chicken Broth! Who knew there was a difference? So here is the breakdown between the two. Chicken stock tends to be made more from bony parts, whereas chicken broth is made more out of meat. Chicken stock tends to have a fuller mouth feel and richer flavor, due to the gelatin released by long-simmering bones. Cool right! Here is another tip. Chicken Stock tends to be slightly higher in price then broth. Weird , Huh?
Lastly, Why Evaporated Milk? Good question! For me it’s three fold: cost, taste, and lower fat content. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE me some heavy whipping cream and half and half in a cream based soup, but I am also a mother and wife on a limited budget and I needed to find something that could work without breaking the bank. and the taste would be similar- with the added bonus of being shelf-stable so I always have some on hand!
Slow Cooker Gnocchi Soup
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 4-5 hours on High/ 6-8 hours on Low
- 1lbs Chicken Tenders (About 6-7)
- 2/3c Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2/3 c Celery, Chopped
- 2/3 c Carrots
- 2 t Italian Seasoning
- 1 t Poultry Seasoning
- 1 t Salt
- 4 c Chicken Stock
- 2 T Cornstarch, dissolved in 2 T water
- 2 12 oz cans of Evaporated Milk
- 2 17.5 oz pkgs Potato Gnocchi
- 6 Slices Thick Cut Bacon
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 pkg 5 oz Fresh Baby Spinach
- Finely dice the onion, celery and carrots. (This is called mirepoix)
- Place the chicken, mirepoix, basil, Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, salt, and broth in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Shred the chicken directly in the slowcooker .
- Mix 2 T Cornstarch and 2 T water together until dissolved and stir into soup.
- Add gnocchi and evaporated milk and mix until combined
- In a frying pan cut bacon up into small pieces and fry, once done remove and let drain. In same pan add garlic and let cook until fragrant (2-3 minutes), then add spinach and let cook for about 1-2 mins add bacon pieces back to pan and mix.
- Add spinach mix to slowcooker and stir. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed, then cover and let cook for another 30-45 minutes, until gnocchi is tender.