Again we are rained in, all activities have been cancelled. So It’s me against the kitchen racing to have dinner ready when everyone gets home, because they seem to think that when they arrive home that food just magically appears. Ummmm, NO! I am allowed to take a day to myself! That doesn’t happen when we have bad weather around. When I take request from the family about what to eat, they usually have two responses to dinner request. It goes a little like this: chicken is always 1st and then always followed up by Chinese or Asian Food. Can you imagine the amount of chicken we go through? Also this has allowed me to purchase all the Asian ingredients on that special aisle at the grocery store and has even sent me to a specialty store to find particular items for my more adventurous meals.
Quick Skillet Orange Chicken
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 ½ pounds of boneless, skinless chicken (tenders, breast or thighs)
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1 8oz can of pineapple chunks
- Coconut Rice, Already prepared (from my Hawaiian Style Fried Rice post)
Marinade for Chicken
- ¼ c Soy Sauce
- ¼ c Cornstarch
- 2 T Water
- ¾ c Orange Juice
- 2 T Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 T Cornstarch
- 1 T Soy Sauce
- 1 T Hoisin Sauce
- 2 t Rice Vinegar
- 1 t Orange Zest
- Start by making the Marinade for the chicken. Mix the following ingredients; soy sauce, water, and cornstarch. Whisk until all ingredients have been combined.
- Then you want to start cutting up the 1 ½ pounds of chicken into chunks. Then add into the marinade and let it sit for a minimum of 5 minutes .
- While the chicken is marinating start the preparing the orange sauce for the chicken. In another bowl add all the following ingredients ; orange juice, dark brown sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, orange zest. Whisk until completely combined and set aside. At this stage chop up all the onions and bell peppers. Drain the pineapples and set aside
- Heat 2 T of vegetable oil in a large skillet. Remove chicken from marinade and add to the skillet. Stir-Fry the chicken over medium high heat for about 5-10 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Once cooked to golden brown, add the orange sauce to the chicken and let cook for another 4-6 minutes and stirring often until sauce has thickened.
- At this point you want to go ahead and add in your vegetables, you just want them to heat through so you can have some crunch to them (onions, bell peppers and pineapples) let them cook until the sauce has finished thickening up.
- Remove large skillet from heat and serve over rice
- Serve Warm
Chef Jocelyn Notes
You can vary this recipe however you like! Add more vegetables or change them up, you can even swap out the chicken for shrimp, pork or even tofu! If you like it spicy, add a few squirts of sriracha to the sauce – and don’t forget to set the bottle on the table!