It’s National Taco Day! I will try anything with taco seasonings or taco ingredients, because that is just how we roll around here. Everybody loves tacos because they’re delicious, but one of the reasons they’re so popular around our house is because they’re super quick. We don’t have a lot of time between work and school and soccer practice and tacos are easy to prepare in that little bit of time we have, and in all honesty, sometimes my daughter eats hers in the car while I drive her to the soccer fields! While tacos are delightful, they’re not always super healthy. This is a different take on tacos that is equally delicious, but a little less carb-heavy. (And you can still eat them in the car if you need to! )
Zucchini Taco Boats
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 medium zucchini
- ½ cup salsa (plus more for serving)
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Taco Seasoning Packet (or you can make your own – we like this one!)
- ½ small onion, minced
- 4 oz tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup (or so) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Pour ½ cup of salsa into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise then with a small spoon or melon baller, hollow out the zucchini pieces but leave ¼″ rim. Save ¾ cup of the zucchini flesh and chop into small pieces.
- Drop the zucchini halves into the boiling water and cook for one minute. Remove from water and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground turkey, breaking it up while it cooks. When it’s no longer pink, add in the spices and mix well.
- Add in the chopped onion, reserved zucchini, tomato sauce, and water. Stir it up then cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange the boiled zucchini halves into the bottom of the 9×13 dish.
- Once the meat mixture is done, spoon the mixture into the zucchini boats evenly. Press down so the filling stays in the boats.
- Top each half with a sprinkle of cheese.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for approximately 30 minutes until the zucchini is fully cooked and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream and more salsa.