6 oz. andouille sausage
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup instant (quick) grits
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken stock
½ cup yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 cup white wine
1 cup fire roasted tomatoes, diced
1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
¼ cup green onion, thinly sliced
1 lb large shrimp or larger
⅓ cup heavy cream
- Using sauté setting – add oil and sausage to Instant Pot. Cook for about 5 minutes, until fat is rendered and edges are crisp
- Meanwhile – Add grits to oven-safe glass bowl. Add milk and chicken stock to glass bowl and whisk together. Set aside
- Add onions to pot and sauté for about 3 minutes, until softened and translucent. Then add garlic and continue cooking for one minute.
- Next, add wine and cook for about five minutes, making sure to scrape up all the fond (brown bits) from the bottom of the pot. Add tomatoes and creole seasoning to pot and mix well.
- Add 3-inch trivet to Instant Pot, then place an oven-safe glass bowl with grits on top of the trivet. Lock lid and cook for 8 minutes at high pressure, then do a quick release.
- Carefully remove glass bowl from Instant Pot. Add butter and cheddar cheese to grits and whisk well, making sure to break up any clumps. Then cover until ready to serve
- Switch Instant Pot back to sauté setting. Add thyme, parsley, and green onions to pot and mix well. Bring up to a boil. Then add shrimp and cook for about five minutes (only until shrimp have turned pink throughout). Keep them moving, every 30 seconds or so, to ensure they cook evenly.
- Just before shrimp are fully pink, add cream and mix well. Then switch to warm setting
- Spoon grits into a serving bowl and top with shrimp and sauce. Enjoy!