1 tablespoon oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup shredded carrots
½ cup celery
3 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch chunks
13.5 oz Andouille Sausage, sliced into ½ inch chunks
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1½ cup white rice
1½ cup chicken broth
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen peas
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode. Add the oil and saute the onions, carrots, celery and garlic, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken, sausage, cajun seasoning, paprika, turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes. It’s ok if the chicken is still a little pink inside.
- Add the chicken broth, rice, and tomatoes. Scrape the sides of the bowl down so that all the rice pieces are in the liquid.
- Turn off saute setting.
- Put the lid on and lock in place, close the pressure valve to seal. Set the Instant Pot to the pressure setting for 10 minutes.
- When the timer beeps do a quick release by turning the pressure valve to “vent”.
- Once all the pressure is released take the lid off and add the frozen peas, stir to combine. The heat from the pot will cook the peas.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Chef Jocelyn Notes:
If your cajun seasoning has salt and pepper, you can omit that part of the recipe. Also if you don’t have chicken broth you can also substitute it for water. This will last in the refrigerator for a week in an airtight container.