Sundays are my only lazy days of the week. I don’t want to move from the bed, let alone cook, but my family waits for no man (or woman) with they get hangry. And every week we have this conversation…
Me: What do you want for dinner?
Family: (in unison) CHINESE!
One of the kids: We can order take out!
Me: With whose money?
And then silence…
Imagine if you will: Me, just standing and looking into the fridge and the pantry, like the food for dinner is just going to magically appear. WRONG! Truth be told it’s toward the end of the month and food is running short, so the imagination is all I have. So off to Hawaii I go (in my head of course). Bright flavors of pineapple, coconut, and smoked ham meet everybody’s favorite Chinese takeout, fried rice in this quick and easy recipe.
Hawaiian Style Fried Rice
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 2 cups water
- 1 can of unsweetened coconut milk (13.5 oz can)
- 2 tsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1½ c chopped ham
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 T Vegetable Oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons soy sauce (more or less to taste)
- 3 Slices of cooked bacon
- 2 Tbsp chopped green onions (optional)
- In a large sauce pan add water, unsweetened coconut milk, brown sugar, salt, and jasmine rice.
- Bring rice to a boil and stir, once it has been brought to a boil reduce heat to low and cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Once done remove from heat and let stand for about 10 minutes
- Preheat a large skillet or wok to medium heat. Pour vegetable oil in the bottom. Add chopped ham, white onion, and red bell pepper and fry until tender.
- Slide the ham onion, and red bell pepper to the side, and pour the beaten eggs onto the other side. Using a spatula, scramble the eggs. Once cooked, mix the eggs with the vegetable mix.
- Add the rice, cooked bacon, and pineapple to the veggie, ham and egg mixture. Pour the soy sauce and sesame oil on top. Stir fry the rice and veggie mixture until heated through and combined. Add chopped green onions if desired.
This is a good one to keep all the ingredients on hand!