These Chocolate Pumpkin Twists look impressive as heck, and they’re just as delicious – but they’re also way easier than they look! You’ll look like a fancy french pastry chef but really, trust me, they’re super easy, thanks to store-bought puff pastry dough. If you really want to make your own puff pastry dough, you can – hey, you do you, but this mama has stuff to do and the store bought stuff is a-ok by me!
Chocolate Pumpkin Twist
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
- 1 egg
- 2 t water
- 4 sheets puff pastry dough
- 1 c canned plain pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- ½ c granulated sugar
- 1 t pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ c mini chocolate chips
- ⅛ t vanilla extract
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1 T milk
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- Divide pumpkin mixture evenly on each piece of puff pastry. Spread pumpkin into an even layer.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips evenly over the pumpkin mixture
- Starting at one end, roll the pastry over the pumpkin mixture.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the center but leave 1 inch at the top of the pastry connected. Twist the two pieces together, making sure to keep the pumpkin filling sides facing up. (See the step-by-step photo!)
- Form the pastry into a circle by pulling the two ends together and pressing together. Place pastry on prepared baking sheet leaving room for spreading. Continue until all pieces of puff pastry have been completed.
- Brush the pastries lightly with the egg wash you made earlier (the egg and water). Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract. Drizzle on top of warm baked pumpkin twists and serve!