It’s the last week of summer and it’s crazy hot with super high humidity! Ugh – can you believe the family still expects me to cook in this weather?!
During the summer I have everyone home at some point and this is the point to where i only have 1 kid of the 3. This time of summer tends to be a special time, I have my daughter Deja who has Autism, and has Type 1 Diabetes as well as some other health issues. Because of her health needs, I have to make sure that the recipes and snacks I make stay in line with her dietary restrictions – basically low carb/low sugar. I want her to be able to eat the food like we do on an everyday basis so I challenge myself to find recipes that meet her needs as well as ours. I believe that I have achieved that in most meals – and the key to this is portion control and moderation. Tonight’s meal is a healthier version of a classic kid-friendly meal, also great for summer eating! Super light and very versatile and can be used in other meals for leftovers – and if your kiddo (or your hubby or yourself!) gets bored with sandwiches in their lunchbox, this taco bowl is just as delicious cold the next day packed in tupperware!
Quinoa Chicken Taco Bowl
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen, this item is optional)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 can of petite diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 cup of mexican blended shredded cheese (divided)
- Optional: diced avocados, sour cream, salsa, green onions, guacamole
- Rinse and drain quinoa. Add quinoa, chicken stock, taco seasoning to a large pot . Cook according to quinoa packaging.
- While quinoa is cooking on stove, season chicken breast with salt and pepper on both sides. Place both chicken breasts on grill 5-7 mins each side depending on size. Once they’re cooked through, set them aside to rest. (Jocelyn Tip: While grilling the chicken will give it great flavor, you can cook it indoors or use leftover/pre-cooked chicken)
- Once quinoa is done, remove from stove and add in diced petite tomatoes, black beans, and ½ cup of cheese to quinoa. Make sure that you mix until all ingredients come together. (Jocelyn Tip: This is where you’ll add the corn if you’re using it – feel free to use canned corn or mexi-corn, just make sure you drain it well)
- Place back on stove medium heat for about 3-5 minutes so it can warm through. Once done top with the remaining cheese.
- Add quinoa mixture to bowl and slice chicken breast and place on top, and garnish with any or all of the optional items listed above.
Chef Jocelyn Notes:
This recipe is my get out of jail free card with the family – when I am super busy, I always have the ingredients to make this in my pantry. What makes this recipe so great is you can substitute about everything in it. Change the quinoa to a jasmine or brown rice. Or change the chicken stock to broth, I could go on forever, but you get my point.
What is your go-to pantry staple meal?