The holidays are looming and it’s an exciting time but it’s also a fattening time. Every where you go there’s hams glazed in honey, egg nog, cookies, and candy literally hanging off trees. If you’re looking for a break from all that, try this Chicken Avocado Ceasar Salad -even if you’re not on a diet, it’s just plain delicious. This salad is served family style, one big bowl in the middle of the table so everyone can help themselves.
Chicken Avocado Ceasar Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- Medium bag romaine lettuce or green leaf, washed and dried
- 5-7 strips of bacon cooked, cut into strips
- 2-3 eggs, boiled to your liking, sliced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 whole chicken breast fillets, skinless and boneless, halved horizontally to make 4 fillets
- ½ t salt
- ½ t black pepper
- 2 T dried parsley flakes
- 1 T garlic powder
- ½ ciabatta loaf, sliced
- 1 -2 T olive oil
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- ⅔ c greek yogurt
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped ( If you just CANNOT do this, see Chef Jocelyn Notes)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 3 T parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to broil settings. Place the bread slices onto an oven tray; drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper and bake in the oven (on middle shelf) until crispy (watch them closely! They go from “crispy” to “burnt” in a flash!)
- While bread is grilling, prepare chicken: rub the chicken breast with the garlic powder, parsley flakes, salt and pepper. Heat a nonstick grilling pan/skillet with a drizzle of olive oil and saute chicken until golden on both sides and cooked through. Remove the chicken and set aside onto a warm plate.
- Add the bacon strips to the same pan, and fry until golden and crispy.
- While the bacon is frying, boil your eggs to your liking (Don’t forget to check your bread in the oven)!
- Caesar Salad Dressing: Combined all the ingredients; yogurt , olive oil, garlic, anchovy fillets, lemon juice, parmesan cheese. Whisk these items until they come together. Make sure you are taste testing as you go. Add salt and pepper as needed. Place in refrigerator until ready for it.
- At this point chicken should have rested and you want to go ahead and slice the chicken and the bacon.
- Let’s Assemble: Combine lettuce with the chicken and bacon strips; eggs (halved); avocado slices; Shredded parmesan cheese; and croutons (halved). Pour over the dressing; mix well to combine, and serve!
Chef Jocelyn Notes
- If you are skeptical about buying anchovies as I was, then we have a short cut for you that will possibly make you less squeamish and still give you that Caesar salad Dressing taste. Sub the anchovies with 2 tablespoons black pitted olives, chopped finely and 1 teaspoon fish sauce.
- Another great note about this recipe is that the seasoning for your chicken breast, make extra, it goes well on the croutons and salad at the end for an added spice and also you can use this for another recipe (Chicken, Pork, or just a simple seasoning for another salad)