2 ½ pounds of broccoli florets, roughly chopped
¼ cup flour
¼ cup butter
1 ¾ cup half and half
2 ¼ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 sleeve Ritz crackers
¼ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a medium sized baking dish and set aside
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add broccoli and boil 3-4 minutes. Drain, rinse and set aside
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, garlic powder, and onion powder and cook for several minutes until slightly golden. Add half and half and bring to a low simmer until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. (reserve ¼ c for topping) Stir in salt and black pepper.
- Arrange broccoli in the baking dish and pour cheese sauce over the broccoli and stir gently to coat.
- In a small bowl combine crushed crackers with melted butter and then stir remaining cheese. Sprinkle over casserole evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and topping is browned removed from the oven. Let sit for 10 minutes.